favorite songs

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Going with the man in black today. Soooo many great tracks to choose from. Such great storytelling with such “simple” instrumentals.

jamesjames
      Keymaster

You gotta follow up Cocaine Blues with …

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Yeah, great choice James. So many to choose from.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I’ll post a bridge song today. Johnny Cash and…

ZizouZizou
            Keymaster

Lots of great stuff has been posted here. Music has been a giant influence in my life. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting in front of the large home Sony stereo that my parents had, you know like the ones that come with the wooden cabinet with the giant speakers on either side and listening to music. The hooks in Soft Cell’s “Sex Dwarf”, Pet Shop Boys “West End Girls” and B52’s “Love Shack” are some of my earliest musical memories, so much so that today, listening to either song can teleport me back to that time. Music never lost influence on me through my teens when I grew an interest in being a musician. And got to live the rockstar life for a few years fronting my own local metal band. Live music then became a huge part of my life as I started to cover local shows as a photographer and to this day, live music is still something I love because there’s nothing like it. But I’d say the biggest influence music played on me were through the form of music videos. The career I chose to pursue in editing came as a direct reflection of my love for music videos. Every year, I post a Top 100 Spotify playlist from the previous year. I haven’t completed 2023 yet but I can post it once I do.

So, I’ll post a few links instead.

Back in 2011, Xerxes when he was living in So Cal, invited me to see Omar Souleyman at the Echo in LA, an experience I still relive in my mind to this day.

My most recent concert was actually last Friday when I got to see Explosions in the Sky, a band I’ve seen over a dozen times going back 20 years, on my birthday.

The last concert I attended before then was when I saw Underworld with Xavi4life.

And since there’s nothing like live music, here’s one performance I’ve watched a lot because it’s just incredible.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Today, the other side of the “bridge” with Dylan. If you’re not aware, that was him doing the duet with Cash on “Girl from the North Country.” Dylan is one I need to go deeper on. I know the greatest hits, but there’s a lot there. This one is a classic though.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Nation of Language is the most recent band I “discovered”. My listening habits until James started this thread were somewhat lazy the past couple of years largely resorting to YouTube and thus the “algorithm” which can be really repetitive. I was listening to another band I’ll post down the road that is similar to this one. Anyway, Nation of Language hasn’t been around too long and they have plenty of songs I really like. You can hear multiple 80s influences in their music like OMD.

ZizouZizou
                  Keymaster

Nice pick, BG! I’m a big NOL fan. I’ve seen them twice since August.

My favorite kind of Dylan, tbh, and this might sound sacriligious to some, exists outside of his studio albums.

Here are three selections that I cherish.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Nice pick, BG! I’m a big NOL fan. I’ve seen them twice since August.

My favorite kind of Dylan, tbh, and this might sound sacriligious to some, exists outside of his studio albums.

Here are three selections that I cherish.

Cool. I wasn’t sure anyone would know who NOL were. I was going to catch them live in the Fall, but I discovered the shows too late and my schedule didn’t work with theirs.

I think there was a fairly big release of Dylan outtakes and/or B-sides a few years back. Like I said, I need to explore him more, but I know a bit past the greatest hits and like it all.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA.
                      BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I feel as though The Who are perhaps not appreciated enough compared to say The Stones and Beatles. Really think they had a great collection of personalities in a musical sense in the band and you see some of that in this one. Pretty much like five songs in one. If you’ve ever seen Wes Anderson’s Rushmore you might recognize this one if you haven’t heard it before.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I have this thing with Sweden to an extent and that does delve into some music. First Aid Kit not only make some pretty incredible music themselves, but they also so some amazing covers. They can easily hook me with their harmonies.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

One of my favorite “current” bands, and yet this track is nearly 20 years old. I believe this is more a Boeckner track, and I’m a big fan of his, but my favorite tracks from there are the Krug tracks. Anyway, one of a small host of Canadian bands that I’ve come to like over the years, Wolf Parade.

jamesjames
                            Keymaster

In that version of “Big River”, that doesn’t sound like Bob Dylan at all.

I usually listen to music in the car or on ear buds when at the gym. Some of this stuff would put me right to sleep while driving.

Anyway, you can’t beat 4 sexy (goth?) women wearing very short skirts telling you they need your bedroom eyes. Right?

• This reply was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by jamesjames.
                              BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

CCR had so many hits in so little time. Some other acts can say the same, but that list isn’t too long. They have plenty of deeper cuts too though. This is an early one, but one of my favorites from them.

jamesjames
                                Keymaster

I used to have a side gig driving uber/lyft. I guess CCR came on the radio and my passenger brought up the “southern” bands like CCR. I said CCR isn’t a southern band, they’re from California. He swore up and down they were from the south and would not believe me. I just said when you get a chance, look it up.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 146 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dynasty Liga

Season 23