favorite songs

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Guy sounds like he’s got some issues, but his catalog of work is really impressive if you ask me. Can do different genres too. Tough to pick one including this one which is a bit more straightforward than his other work.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

They had a cover of this in season four of True Detective as well. Not my favorite track by them, but up there. Other is a “Summer” song for me, so I’ll go with this one. Oddly enough, Hope Sandoval is on another band’s album that I really like and will post a track from at some point. Finally, wish I had this album on vinyl and should have bought it back in the 90s. Haven’t checked prices since pre-Covid, but it was around $100 then.

jamesjames
        Keymaster

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by jamesjames.
          KawaiKawai

Another one for the group

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Great choice Kawai. So many to choose from when it comes to CCR. “Commotion” reminds me a bit of “Ramble Tamble’. The latter is a bit of a deep dive, but IMO one of their best.

jamesjames
              Keymaster

I thought this was pretty impressive. The only thing that I could spot is Ringo was usually hunched over a bit.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I wouldn’t say I’ve been ignoring The Beatles as they’ve just been off the radar. In my early High School years I primarily listened to them and nothing else. For me there don’t really have any deep tracks. I think I overplayed them such that since I’ve always still loved them, but tend to look to other acts and just appreciate The Beatles when I catch them. This one is arguably my favorite track:

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Easily a top 3-5 artist/band for me, The Smiths. One of plenty of bands I could have listened to in High School, but didn’t discover until college. Great thing that occurred simultaneously is that I started buying vinyl records. A lot of them were current artists at the time, like 90s Radiohead (which are now probably 10x what I paid for them), but some were older. I was always a stickler for condition, but one of the record stores had a huge Smiths selection as if someone had ditched their collection. I didn’t buy them all much less in one sitting, but bought a lot of them including some imports and 12” singles. Getting to the point, what’s great is that their album covers were those great old black and white photographs that were then overlayed with some color. They just look so cool. Anyway, the music itself is great if you ask me.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

That whole bit I wrote about The Smiths brought me to straight to… Belle and Sebastian. A different record store from my college days, which was a somewhat famous record store after one of the blokes from Pearl Jam wore their tee on stage back then, had new vinyl. That’s where I bought the Radiohead LPs and other things, including EPs on vinyl and even imported CDs. Always fun spending the little I had there. Got to know some of guys who worked there and Belle and Sebastian was a recommendation. The 3,6,9 Seconds of Light EP was my first taste. Much like The Smiths, and surely inspired by them, they had great album art and I’d be lying if it didn’t pull me in initially. First track is from that EP and somewhat emblematic of their sound and lyrics. Second track is something more recent and shows an evolution of their sound a bit. Almost like they were doing that semi-electronic sound without going electronic. Love the trumpet at the end. I say this about a lot of artists I like, but helluva a catalog they’ve built up over the years. Oh, and how could I leave out the last one.

jamesjames
                      Keymaster

I got a kick out of the smiths because of the crazy lyrics. “Did they really just sing that?” It wasn’t johnny rotten or joe strummer. It was this guy with a soft voice not yelling through the loud guitar and drums.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 1 week ago by jamesjames.
                        BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I got a kick out of the smiths because of the crazy lyrics. “Did they really just sing that?” It wasn’t johnny rotten or joe strummer. It was this guy with a soft voice not yelling through the loud guitar and drums.

Yeah, it’s funny because so many people who only know a track or two think they’re depressing or sad, but in actuality they can really be quite funny.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I need to listen to more of The Jam, but this was my first taste back in college and it stuck with me along with a few of their other hits.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

If you were to go back 20 years I’d tell you Radiohead was one of my 5 favorite bands. Not anymore, but I still like them quite a bit (apart from that entire first album). Big catalog to choose from, but I suppose this is my favorite all these years later.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Before there was Father John Misty there was J Tillman. Don’t get me wrong, I like me some Father John Misty, but this track is as good as anything he did after. Throwing a live version in considering some of the unique sounds and how they’re arrived at.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I suppose I have to go with Father John Misty today.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 146 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dynasty Liga

Season 23