favorite songs

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Author
    BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Probably not his most well know tracks, and technically they’re Buffalo Springfield tracks, but really like these two Neil Young songs. If you have the album the one blends into the other. “Expecting to Fly” has a very Moody Blues sound to it.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

So this flashed across my path today. I like a lot of his work, but really feel as though I’ve only scratched the surface. Love this track though.

jamesjames
        Keymaster

A power trio of young beautiful Mexican sisters from Monterrey playing kick ass rock and roll? Yes, more please!

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by jamesjames.
          jamesjames
          Keymaster

Even Doc Severinsen (still alive at 97 years old) and The Tonight Show band horn section get into it.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by jamesjames.
            jamesjames
            Keymaster

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by jamesjames.
              jamesjames
              Keymaster

jamesjames
                Keymaster

36 years later …

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Continuing James’ theme:

26 years later

Had to bookend in American Graffiti and more so Crime Story. Big fan of Dennis Farina.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Came across BRMC again the other day which simply reminded how poor my music consumption has become with YouTube. Also reminds me of how time flies since I haven’t checked them out in some time. Really liked this album though and this track in particular.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Still can visualize the first night I remember hearing this song. Reminds of my Summer nights and some 30 years on I still love it.

jamesjames
                        Keymaster

More “Runaway”

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

I enjoy my share of Westerns, though most of them are more “modern”. Saw a few older ones this Summer, but still have yet to see Rio Bravo. Love this song though. Good thing they didn’t let the Duke have a stab at a line or two.

I’ll also use this opportunity to add a Ricky Nelson tune. Not his best, but more obscure than my favorites.

18395 wrote:

More “Runaway”

You know it’s a great track if they’re covering it. Still, would have preferred an Orbison vocal.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA.
                            jamesjames
                            Keymaster

The record was named after the Telstar communications satellite, which was launched into orbit on 10 July 1962. It was written and produced by Joe Meek, and featured a clavioline, a keyboard instrument with a distinctive electronic sound. It was recorded in Meek’s studio in a small flat above a shop in Holloway Road, North London. “Telstar” won an Ivor Novello Award and is estimated to have sold at least five million copies worldwide.

Plagiarism claim
                              A French composer, Jean Ledrut, accused Joe Meek of plagiarism, claiming that the tune of “Telstar” had been copied from “La Marche d’Austerlitz”, a piece from a score that Ledrut had written for the 1960 film Austerlitz. This led to a lawsuit that prevented Meek from receiving royalties from the record during his lifetime, and the issue was not resolved in Meek’s favour until three weeks after his suicide in 1967. Austerlitz was not released in the UK until 1965, and Meek was unaware of the film when the lawsuit was filed in March 1963.

Meek produced later in 1962 a vocal version of “Telstar” entitled “Magic Star”, sung by Kenny Hollywood. It was released as a single by Decca Records (cat. nr F11546), with on the B-side “The Wonderful Story of Love”, written by Geoff Goddard.

“Magic Star” was covered by Margie Singleton, released by Mercury Records (cat. nr 72079) in January 1963, backed with “Only Your Shadow Knows”.

Piero Umiliani made a Moog version in 1975 under the name: L’ingegner Giovanni e famiglia (Engineer Giovanni And His Family)

Two Spanish vocal versions were released by Alberto Cortez and the Latin Quartet, titled “Magica Estrella.”

With French lyrics by Jacques Plante, the song was released by Les Compagnons de la chanson under the title “Telstar – Une étoile en plein jour” (a star in broad daylight).

Luxembourg-born German language singer Camillo Felgen recorded the German vocal version as “Telstar (Irgendwann Erwacht Ein Neuer Tag)” with lyrics by Carl Ulrich Blecher in 1963.

My favorite version but probably just a cousin. Theme from “The High Chaparral” Music by David Rose. I couldn’t find any direct relationship to “Telstar” but they are pretty similar.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

Kind of sticking with the 50s theme here, but please note I myself am not yet 50. 😉 Anyway, back in the day I saw the play Buddy in London. While these days my taste in theater would be different, actually it was then too. I really enjoyed it though. The one performance that stood out for me was that of the fella playing The Big Bopper. This song just makes me laugh every time. I just look at the guy and he looks like he fell out of the 50s. More so though, the lyrics seem WAY to risqué for the 50s.

jamesjames
                                Keymaster

Oh baby, that’s what I like!

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 146 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dynasty Liga

Season 23