Rule Change regarding Free Agent Bids

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    ZizouZizou
    Keymaster

Beginning with Season 23, we will be revising the rules regarding free agent bids moving forward and for the upcoming free agent window, which is due to open Saturday, April 6, 2024 at Noon, Pacific. (I like the website time.is when it comes to syncing clocks.)

Since moving to this site from the old forum (RIP you beauty), the rule has been that if 2 or more GMs bid on a player within the same minute, the active bid would go to the highest bidder. We took two things into consideration when we changed that rule, which previously had awarded the active bid to the GM that bid first since we were able to track time in hundredths of seconds. First, the website’s performance hadn’t been optimized yet leading to slower response and that post counts were originally unable to be distinguished in terms of order and time could only be tracked in minutes, not seconds or hundredths of seconds.

However, since the website has since been optimized and numbered post counts are visible at the top right corner of every topic post or reply, we will be reverting to the previous rule awarding the active bid to the first bidder in any bid for the player within the same minute and their bid the active in any tie, giving that bid the active bid right.

Some of the supported reasons are as follows. Changing the rule hypothetically prevents potential abuse as a GM could simply wait and choose to eat up most of the minute knowing their bid only had to be just over whatever the highest bid to that point was before entering a bid. The site’s increased response enables this more easily and quickly than when we originally transitioned and the rule was changed. Also, in a tiebreaker situation where 2 or more GMs might’ve entered a bid on the same player for the same amount within the same minute, the active bid would go to whoever bid first. Because of this being the tiebreaker, I thought it was less complicated to go with that being the deciding factor. And while we are still unable to track post time on the forum in seconds, we are able to track post count with the higher post #number (top right) coming after any number lower.

So, to clear – moving forward, active free agent bids will go to the first bidder of the free agent. His bid will have to be countered if his post count with the bid is lower than anyone else’s, regardless of the amount of any bids that came after.

Bids placed before the 12:00 start of free agency, or before the 24H bid freeze, will not be counted and must be re-placed.

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to reply.

ZizouZizou
      Keymaster

James has been working on the database for us. I will be updating the Complete Players thread and everyone will have screenshots of their teams before the start of free agency.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

One question/comment/concern/thought was that in the last window I believe there were multiple bids for the same player and even in that first minute I was unsure of which bid was first because I think there were comments in one of the threads. So I countered one of the top two bidders who if I recall correctly bid the same amount. So I’m wondering/thinking, what if we counter in the wrong thread but the counter is high enough? Would it still stick?

ZizouZizou
          Keymaster

One question/comment/concern/thought was that in the last window I believe there were multiple bids for the same player and even in that first minute I was unsure of which bid was first because I think there were comments in one of the threads. So I countered one of the top two bidders who if I recall correctly bid the same amount. So I’m wondering/thinking, what if we counter in the wrong thread but the counter is high enough? Would it still stick?

What I’ll say to that is try to do it on the right/active bid. Ultimately, we’re going to merge threads so the bids are chronological anyway.

BLAUGRANABLAUGRANA

What I’ll say to that is try to do it on the right/active bid. Ultimately, we’re going to merge threads so the bids are chronological anyway.

Yeah, definitely will, but there was a page worth of bids that crossed over and I couldn’t tell which was which. Anyway, again, just a consideration.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Dynasty Liga

Season 23